The original first floor bathroom was located in a part of the area that we eventually claimed for the kitchen expansion.
We moved the downstairs bathroom right next door, on the other side of the old staircase. It replaced a very, very small “bedroom” and an entrance to the old stair case. That door in the picture below was the old entrance to the old staircase. It would eventually become the linen closet.
The dimensions of this old bedroom space worked perfectly for the new bathroom. The staircase to the 2nd floor would be moved the location currently taken by this pair of closets. We hated taking them down, but it was a necessary sacrifice and something that we will write about in more detail once the new staircase is finished.
The wall was removed opposite of the old doorway to the basement to provide a new entrance to the basement stairs and an additional entrance the to kitchen. That 2nd entrance to the kitchen was unplanned, but once we had that opening we loved the way it created a quicker and more logical way it connected get the bathroom, new stairscase, and playroom.
We removed most of the old stairs, but preserved the bottom few. These would remain in the new linen closet and help give us a lot of storage height.
The open area above the old stairs was framed out for a new floor and a ceiling for the new bathroom closet.
We new we were going to tile the bathroom floor, so we took the opportunity to remove some of the flooring for the new bathroom to use at the top of the basement stairs (the new entrance to the kitchen).
There was originally a step down to this area at the top of the basement stairs. We raised that floor height and used the bathroom flooring to blend in with the rest of the house.
That bathroom really came to life once we had drywall!
Before we moved in the floor was tiled, we primed all the drywall and hooked up the sink and toilet.
The room stayed like this for more than a year until the upstairs spaces were finished. I finally had time to sort through all the trim that had been removed during the demolition (that seems like a lifetime ago) and began the task of cleaning it up, refinishing, and installing. Amy rehabbed the clawfoot tub and all the fancy hardware was added.
We also rehabbed the original medicine cabinet.
It was finally time to paint. This caused a long delay. True to Joe and Amy form, we were really undecided on the appropriate color. This is the most “Victorian” room of the house and we wanted to make sure the color complemented the trim, fixtures, and overall feel of the space. We found a purple that happened to be the 2017 Benjamin Moore color of the year… and it was perfect. Honestly, it’s probably the only time we have ever been happy with a color right away!
The last big hold up was finding appropriate light fixtures. Lucky for us, we know a a couple of light fixture gurus (and really ALL things Victorian) who restored a ceiling fixture and two sconces for us. These really finish off the room perfectly.
Amy and Doug are home rehabbers that do truly incredible work! We are total newbies compared to them. If you are not already familiar with their blog, check it out HERE. They have been so helpful to us during our rehab project and are always quick to offer great advise and suggestions on a wide variety of topics. Their current house is amazing and was even featured on the COVER of This Old House.